July 22, 2008

More Technorati tips

Laurie Beth Beggin and I often chat with each other through our comments. Both on her blog and on mine. We met a few months ago through a link exchange on Indiepublic and have had our eye on each others' blogs ever since. I look to her for inspiration for my creative process and ideas to polish and improve my blog. Yes, I know here we have a lady (me) who makes plates with a Betsy Ross kind of bonnet looking at stained glass to become inspired, but hey whatever works, right? Seriously, Laurie B's blog is a fun and down to earth mix of craft, talent and skill, family and pets, flowers and country life... Just go and check it out. Trust me, you'll love her.

Anyhoo, in one conversation she mentioned that she had added the Technorati thing on her blog and wanted to know how to get more reciprocal links. That can be the tough part. Technorati counts reciprocal links once per blog. This means that even if I was to mention Laurie B's blog in every one of my blog posts, Technorati would only count it as one, since my blog is only one (out or many) places mentioning her blog by name.

I believe that Google, on the other hand, counts the number of times a blog is mentioned. So if I was to include a link to Laurie B's blog with every post, that would increase her Google rank.

Participating in link exchanges is a good idea to help those within a group improve not only their Google rank but also their Technorati authority. When she and I participated in the link exchange, most participating artists and crafters added links to the blogroll on the side of the blog. This is helpful with Google, but sadly, I have discovered, does nothing for your Technorati rank.

**Promotion tip - if you participate in link exchanges, not only add the participants to your blogroll, but make a little mention in your blog about the fact that you're adding these blogs to your blogroll. In fact, take a minute and mention what you like best about the links you're adding, and invite all your readers to visit the links you're adding. This will do four good things:
  1. It helps that blog's Google rank
  2. It helps that blog's Technorati authority
  3. It shows that you care about the quality of your content when adding only those links that are relevant to your blog to enrich your readers' experience,
  4. It can also bring in more traffic when those whom you've mentioned visit your blog to see what nice things you've said about them, and post about it on their own blogs.
It's a win-win in so many yummy flavors.
.
.

.

2 comments:

  1. Hi friend! Thanks for mentioning me in this post!!! I look to you for inspiration also! AND you give the BEST tips!!!!!! You are a fountain of information!!! With MUCH gratitude, Laurie B.
    Did you See Prudence's being my ghostwriter on my blog?? It's a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prudence cracks me up. :o)
    I left you a comment on that post.

    Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ comments!

Powered By Blogger