February 3, 2009

Tuesday Tip: Gift Box "Remodel"

I bought a pair of earrings for a birthday present, and needed a sturdy box to put them in. At the Dollar Store (of course!) the only small gift boxes they had were for gift cards. Perfect size, yes. Attractive padding or jewelry insert, no. They had an ugly plastic insert that you could clip the gift card into. Yech, that's no good.
After digging through my collection of ribbons and gift wrapping scraps, I came up with what I thought was a very pretty "remodel" for that box. What do you think of this?

Gift card box remodel, originally uploaded by passitonplates.

Here's the original gift card box...

Oh. And I was in a hurry, so this is about 5 minutes of work. Most of that was spent looking for materials: Organza.



This was the ugly ugly ugly gift card holder. And it just looked cheap.



I wrapped a length of organza around the plastic gift card holder twice. This is the organza on a spool that you can get in the wedding department of a fabric/craft store.

Just a little scotch tape holds the organza in place.



Here's what the organza looks like from the front, when the plastic gift card holder is popped back into place.



Here are the earrings in the box. Sorry I couldn't show you the earrings... I'm posting this before I give them away and I don't want to ruin the surprise.




Organza bow, originally uploaded by passitonplates.

I wrapped another length of organza around the box and tied a basic bow (like when you tie your shoes.) The loops on the bow were spread out and fluffed to get this huge pouf.


Don't forget!
Pass It On Plates Giveaway Feb 1-7




.
Did you like this post?
How about subscribing
in a reader or by email? It's quick and easy.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We ♥ comments!

Powered By Blogger